The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of What to Expect. Learn more about our guidelines
Just so you know, What to Expect may make commissions on shopping links on this page.

Petechiae Rash - freaked out

Has anyone had experience with their toddler having petechiae? I’ll attach pics. She keeps getting them on her neck. They appear and then disappear over a couple of days but then show back up. Almost always on her neck.

Google is NOT helping my anxiety.

I’m going to call her doctor on Monday but I’m starting to freak out. One reason for them is leukemia. Most causes aren’t good.

She doesn’t have any other symptoms I don’t think so that eases my mind a little bit but I tend to obsess over these things ��

Like Love Hug Funny Sad Wow
10 Similar Discussions Found
23 Comments
Oldest First
G
GatorJuice2020

Heat rash?

CopperBooom
@GatorJuice2020,

it kind of looks like that in pictures but it’s definitely petechiae. It’s under the skin and doesn’t change color when you press on it.

s
sillymama

Aww I don’t have any experience sorry. I just wanted to say I hope it’s nothing and you get it figured out soon.

s
sillymama

Also I looked up other threads on this and a lot of other babies have had it and they went for blood work and everything was fine! It’s hard to not worry when it’s your baby. But from the other posts maybe it’s common in little ones.

CopperBooom
@sillymama,

Thanks for taking the time to look! I was trying to look too but didn’t see much.

W
Wheatenlover

Has she been crying a lot? My daughter has had that happen from crying super hard. The first time it was all over her legs after hours of course and they had us go to the ER, they couldn’t find any cause.  Try not to worry if she’s acting normal. 

CopperBooom
@Wheatenlover,

Nope, no excessive crying.

My husband did throw her up in the air the other day and caught her a little weird on the neck but this was happening before then. The big area across the front of her neck is almost gone. I just hate that new areas keep popping up.

I honestly didn’t think anything of it the first time or two but then I looked it up and now I’m obviously freaked out.

futureboymama

Hmm is she itching her neck a lot? Sometimes that happens when you over itch something 

CopperBooom
@futureboymama,

not that I’ve noticed. I usually see the new spots in the morning so I’m trying to figure out if something is irritating her overnight. This is going to sound so weird but she sleeps on her floor using a dog bed as a pillow (it was a cushion in her reading nook that she insisted on bringing in her room to sleep on ��) and the edge is a little rough so I didn’t know if that’s rubbing her neck at night.

s
sillymama
@futureboymama,

now that you say that my son has gotten that from scratching is neck too! @elizasmama2020

c
cheraelong

Is she still wearing bibs or anything around her neck? We had what looked like this and it turned out to be a certain kind of bib that irritated over time. 

CopperBooom
@cheraelong,

hmm she does wear silicone bibs depending on what she’s eating. She’s worn them since she was 6 months old though. Maybe they’re getting tighter and starting to rub? Good thought!

Ella273

Hi momma it does looks like petechiae rash but it is different from those caused by serious illnesses like meningitis. It looks like caused by scratches.
Try pressing it with a glass jar or cup and see if it disappears when pressed or not.

Ella273
@Ella273,

Also please don't Google it! I had the same scare once with my baby and turned out it was heat rash.
Leukaemia, meningitis, bleeding disorders etc always has other symptoms before the rash appears, it isn't among the early symptoms of these diseases so if she only has the rash it is most likely something benign like scratching or heat rash

CopperBooom
@Ella273,

thanks! That’s the one thing making me feel a little better. She’s not losing weight or losing her appetite and she doesn’t have excessive bruising on other parts of her body. She fell really hard on metal stairs on her knee yesterday and there’s barely a bruise there today.

Googling was definitely a bad idea because everything made it sound like an emergency.

Ella273
@CopperBooom,

You see moma no need to freak out! I'm sure she will be fine. Google always say the worst case scenario for every symptom and sign.

m
missliz154

what did your provider say?

CopperBooom
@missliz154,

they had us go to urgent care because they couldn’t fit us in. The doctor scared the absolute crap out of me but her blood work all came back normal thank god.

No real answer but it’s not some of the scarier things it could have been!

k
kaharris96

I was wondering if your daughter is still experiencing this or if you’ve found anything else out about it. My daughter has petechiae in her armpit and it comes and goes like you described. It’s stressing me out but she has no other symptoms.

CopperBooom
@kaharris96,

She isn’t really getting them any more. Maybe tiny ones here or there but nothing like they were. She had blood work and everything came back normal.

I had seen that sometimes a virus can cause it and she’s constantly picking things up at daycare so could have been related?

I hope you get some answers or hers just go away. Google is definitely not your friend in this situation.

If you go to urgent care they should do blood work and you’ll get it back within a couple of days. Just call ahead to make sure they’ll do blood work on kids.

T
TheaMomma

Hi.. my daughter is 7 and she have on and off petechiae for almost a year now..google does not help at all..been to 8 doctors..bloodworks all normal..still they dont know what's causing it..shes not scratching it.